Sunday, October 3, 2010

For Real Freeforming

Hello all, it's been quite awhile since I have posted. And while much has been going on in my life, we'll take things slowly.

First locs, then love, then life.

LOCS

My hair is... no words can describe it. the two locs in the front got clipped of much of their length, because I was bent on the hair at my crown being more evenly distributed. In stead of two locs, there are three now.
I'm deep off into the freeform. Just wash, oil, and go. and even the oiling has become much more simple: spread some jojoba on my hands, rustle them through the drying hair, and that's about the story of oiling. the length of hair that was comb coiled is definitely loc'd, while the new growth is in varying stages of locing. I enjoy playing with the ends that, only months ago, I was begging to seal. now only about a handful of them havent sealed. I've got this sort of "halo" of new growth that makes me feel such like a lion. Seperating the roots is my biggest maintenance task now, and one that I undertake with plenty of enjoyment. Anything to do with my hair is savored! Mid December will be the one year mark for my locs. SO much growth in the past ten months...
In the past month and a half, as I embrace the freeform, people have started complimenting my hair. I hear awe as I walk Atlanta. At massage events, those with locs touch their fist to their heart and give me a small bow, which I'm only to happy to return. I wear a jamaican flag bandana, and yellow and green armbands. People ask if I'm from Jamaica, and I tell them no, but that I identify with the country as if it is my home. Looking in the mirror at my locs, in all their unkempt glory, I feel a profound sense of gratitude and self love (more on that later) and a gratefulness at my ongoing decision to remain loc'd. LUV

No comments:

Post a Comment